Updated: January 20, 2021 at 8:26PM
Cloth masks like the ones issued to each member of the Notre Dame community are useful in drastically limiting the wearer’s potential to spread infection. From the early days of COVID-19 study, it was clear the illness is often spread via asymptomatic carriers. With this knowledge and the growing body of evidence that suggests masks are effective in stopping the spread of COVID-19, each member of the Notre Dame community, and visitors to campus, should abide by the following protocol:
- Masks must be worn on campus at all times and in all places (both outside and inside), except by students in their assigned residence hall rooms and by faculty and staff when alone in a private office.
- Each Notre Dame student has received at least five cloth masks. Staff and faculty members were provided at least three cloth masks.
- Please wash your hands or use sanitizer prior to handling your mask.
- Masks are available for purchase at the bookstore.
The University has provided masks for each member of the Notre Dame community.
If you need a mask please contact your supervisor/department, or Tracy Skibins, senior director of emergency management (email@example.com or 574-631-8344).
Use and Care of Cloth Face Masks
A cloth face mask should:
- Fasten securely with ties or ear loops
- Fit snugly but comfortably
- Include multiple layers
- Allow for breathing without restrictions
- Be able to be laundered
Putting On/Taking Off the Mask
- Wash hands or use hand sanitizer prior to handling.
- Avoid touching the front of the mask.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth when removing the mask.
- Wash hands immediately after removing.
Care, Storage and Laundering
- Cloth face masks may not be used more than one day at a time and must be washed after daily use. They should be replaced immediately if soiled, damaged or visibly contaminated.
- Keep cloth face masks in a paper bag when not in use.