Updated: July 27, 2020 at 11:15AM
The University will provide masks for each member of the Notre Dame community. For those working on campus, the masks will be distributed by supervisors or departments. If you need a mask please contact your supervisor/department, or Tracy Skibins, senior director of emergency management (firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-8344). Students will receive masks upon arrival to campus.
Cloth masks like the ones issued to each member of the Notre Dame community are useful in drastically limiting the wearer’s potential to spread infection. From the early days of COVID-19 study, it was clear the illness is often spread via asymptomatic carriers. With this knowledge and the growing body of evidence that suggests masks are effective in stopping the spread of COVID-19, each member of the Notre Dame community, and visitors to campus, should abide by the following protocol:
- All faculty, staff, and students in a University campus space will be expected to wear cloth or commercial grade face masks at all times when they are, or may be, in the presence of other individuals, except when alone in a private room (e.g., office, assigned residence hall room) or in a private vehicle. When outdoors, masks are expected to be worn whenever physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- Students will not need to wear masks when they are in their assigned rooms, but they must wear masks in all other rooms and common spaces, including hallways and lounges.
- Visitors to campus are required to wear masks at all times inside campus buildings, or outdoors when a physical distance of 6 feet cannot be maintained.
- Each Notre Dame student will receive five cloth masks. Staff and faculty members will be provided with three cloth masks.
- Please wash your hands or use sanitizer prior to handling your mask.
- Additional masks are available for purchase at the bookstore.
Use and Care of Cloth Face Masks
A cloth face mask should:
- Fasten securely with ties or ear loops
- Fit snugly but comfortably
- Include multiple layers
- Allow for breathing without restrictions
- Be able to be laundered
Putting On/Taking Off the Mask
- Wash hands or use hand sanitizer prior to handling.
- Avoid touching the front of the mask.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth when removing the mask.
- Wash hands immediately after removing.
Care, Storage and Laundering
- Cloth face masks may not be used more than one day at a time and must be washed after daily use. They should be replaced immediately if soiled, damaged or visibly contaminated.
- Keep cloth face masks in a paper bag when not in use.
All who work at the University should also abide by the Respectful Environment Policy. As stated in the policy, “Notre Dame staff and faculty members are expected to treat members of the University community with dignity and respect.” All who work at the University who engage in such unacceptable behavior may be subject to disciplinary action consistent with Notre Dame disciplinary policy and procedures and the faculty handbook or academic articles.