Updated: June 03, 2021 at 6:07PM
Indoor Mask Use Eased
Because of the University's high rates of vaccination, low case rates, and St. Joseph County’s improved case rates, those who are fully vaccinated do not need to wear their masks indoors, effective June 3.
Those who are not vaccinated should continue wearing masks indoors and are encouraged to sign up for surveillance testing if regularly working on campus.
Cloth masks, like the ones issued to each member of the Notre Dame community, are useful in drastically limiting the wearer’s potential to spread infection. Each member of the Notre Dame community, and visitors to campus, should abide by the following protocol:
- Those who are fully vaccinated do not need to wear their masks indoors.
- Those who are not vaccinated should continue wearing masks indoors.
- Masks are optional outdoors.
- Carry a mask at all times and be ready to wear it should it become necessary.
- Wear a mask if directed by a campus safety official to do so.
The University has provided masks for each member of the Notre Dame community. Masks are also available for purchase at the bookstore. If you need a mask please contact your supervisor/department, or Tracy Skibins, senior director of emergency management (firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-8344).
Use and Care of Cloth Face Masks
A cloth face mask should:
- Fasten securely with ties or ear loops
- Fit snugly but comfortably
- Include multiple layers
- Allow for breathing without restrictions
- Be able to be laundered
Putting On/Taking Off the Mask
- Wash hands or use hand sanitizer prior to handling.
- Avoid touching the front of the mask.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth when removing the mask.
- Wash hands immediately after removing.
Care, Storage and Laundering
- Cloth face masks may not be used more than one day at a time and must be washed after daily use. They should be replaced immediately if soiled, damaged or visibly contaminated.
- Keep cloth face masks in a paper bag when not in use.