A Notre Dame outdoor student gathering space
Introducing South Lawn: a new comfortable, outdoor space for students in front of South Dining Hall. Complete with outdoor chairs, fire pits, and more, the space provides a welcoming setting for students to engage in informal gatherings and physically distanced activities throughout the 2020 Fall Semester.
The Venue is located in front of Howard Hall and serves as a space for student performances, concerts, and contests.
The Lounge is a seating area located in front of South Dining Hall and includes a variety of seating options, fire pits, and more, illuminated by criss-crossing string lights.
The Yard is located in front of Dillon Hall where yard games and activities for students can be enjoyed.
The Tent, located in front of Fisher Hall, includes chairs and tables. The tent can also be used for student activities or informal gatherings.
*Both The Venue and The Tent are reservable by recognized student groups and University departments hosting student-facing events. Student groups can request use of the space through SAO360 while University departments can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Building Services will sanitize surfaces daily.
- Chairs, gliders, fire pits, blankets
- Lawn games, including Ladderball, KanJam, Cornhole, and more are available for checkout.
- Additional programming will be planned for Friday & Saturday nights.
South Lawn will be continuously staffed or monitored.
- Open to on-campus, off-campus, and graduate students.
- Students should follow COVID-19 health protocols at all times: wear a mask, maintain physical distancing, and refrain from gathering in groups of more than 10.
- Furniture, games, and installations should remain in place at all times.
- Please do not touch the fire pits. They will be turned on from 6 pm until midnight on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings.
- Open seven days a week:
- Sunday - Thursday: Until midnight
- Friday - Saturday: Until 2 a.m.
South Lawn is open for informal gatherings and events during normal operating hours. The Student Activities Office will target specific days and times to offer student programming and activities:
- Monday-Wednesday, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Thursday-Saturday, 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- The checkout desk is located near The Tent.
Your ideas are welcomed and encouraged! Students with ideas for programming are encouraged to share.
Outdoor Student Events
South Lawn is one of many outdoor gathering spaces being used to host student events. The following list includes events across campus. See the full list of Outdoor Student Events.